Sunday, November 29, 2009

Installing Windows XP Pro x64?

How do I install Windows XP Pro x64?



I have Windows XP Home Edition SP2 (32 bit) that came with my computer. Will I have to save all my files? ... Will installing this be like reformatting the hard drive? Should this be *that* difficult for me to do? I'm still a student (so I want to do it myself to keep the cost down).



Installing Windows XP Pro x64?windows xp home



First of all, you CANNOT "upgrade" a 32-bit OS to a 64-bit. So yes, you will have to reformat your drive (as a new install). Also, your CPU must have a 64-bit memory technology instruction set. Most of Intel's new processors have this (It's called "EM64T" just so you know). Also, your HDD, BIOS, CPU, Motherboard must all be able to support the extended memory width before you attempt to install XP 64-bit.



First, make sure all your components are compatible. Second, backup all your stuff. Third, reformat and install XP 64-bit. But before you do this, make sure you have all the drivers needed for 64-bit burned onto a CD or something.



64-bit is not really THAT important now, as MS is still promoting its 32-bit versions of Windows, and software is not optimized for 64-bit yet. There are no significant advantages between x64 and x86 in regards to gaming either.



To make sure your CPU supports 64-bit instructions, download "CPU-Z" and run it. If you see "EM64T" or "x86-x64" in the "Instructions" section, you can run 64-bit Windows on your CPU. Then you have to make sure your BIOS supports it - check your motherboard's specifications for that information.



Installing Windows XP Pro x64?microsoft visual studio internet explorer



I am confused...does your PC have a 32 or 64 bit processor? You can only install the 64 bit version or XP Pro on a machine with a 64 bit processor. When I installed XP Pro 64 I backed up all my "my documents" items as well as "my pictures" and "my music". Hope this helps.
The thing about doing that is, you have to find all your drivers for yourself after installing xp64. Your recover disk will be useless for doing this since all the drivers are 32bit. Another thing is you will have to find and save your burning programs and DVD codec programs for installing after you install xp64... This is the one problem that holds people back from doing the switch from vista to xp on their sluggish laptops. Most come with the operating system on a recovery CD and you have to buy or reinstall drivers and programs from scratch...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
postage rate