Sunday, April 25, 2010

Windows SP2 installation?

I just recently reformmated my laptop. (I have windows XP) I installed all drivers needed and also critical softwares on windows update. Everything was successful except I cannot install windows SP2. I downloaded it, but when I proceed to installation it would not get past "checking product key" section. It would just be frozen, and there is no error code. I have a genuine copy of windows XP so I don't understand why it won't work. I have tried more than 20 times and have also left my laptop running without any programs opened for several hours, but still it would not move past "checking product key" point. Do you know what is wrong and how I can fix it?



Windows SP2 installation?windows mobile 6



You can obtain free Windows Update support, including SP2 installation issues, by contacting Microsoft support: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default...



Also see: Windows XP Service Pack 2 problem Solver: http://winhlp.com/WxSP2.htm



This fix will probably work:



1) Please go into the CMD prompt (Start/Run --%26gt; cmd.exe )



2) Then type cd /d %windir%\inf and make sure we are in that directory.



3) Then type ren oem*.inf oem*.old, it will go back to the prompt after giving you some error (Do not worry about it)



4) Then type ren oem*.pnf oem*.old1, it will go back to the prompt after giving you some error (Do not worry about it)



5) Then goto start - run - type "%windir%\inf" and you will see the files in the folder.



6) Then find the file by name INFCACHE.1 and take a backup of it to desktop (by copying it to desktop) and delete the INFCACHE.1 from c:\windows\inf.



7) Close all windows and reboot the computer to safe mode and start the installation of SP2 and it should go fine.



Windows SP2 installation?microsoft office 2003 internet explorerYou're welcome Report It


Press alt-tab sometimes a window will get tucked behind another one.
I used to have the same problem on my earlier computer. Make sure you have SP1 installed first, that might fix it.
According to Microsoft (see article in link below), the license key you used to install XP is "known as an invalid product key."



I don't doubt that you have a genuine copy of windows XP. The article in the link below shows how you can verify whether your copy of XP is valid.



If the product key continues to give problems, contact the place that sold you the original XP product and license. Maybe they put a wrong sticker on the system.
It sounds like you may have a validation problem. Not accusing you of having bootleg software, :-), it is a known problem with the Windows Genuine Advantage Program. The best thing to do is contact Microsoft and give them your code key over the phone and they will tell you how to fix the problem. You might also look at the Genuine Advantage website for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
postage rate